The Dance Hall and Promenade Bridge were built in 1911 during a period of major expansion for the park.
The building sat just above the lake surface on 10 concrete pillars, which were discovered in 1993 during some early FOBS lake investigations. FOBS also found approximately half of the outside vertical posts that made up the outer walls of the Dance Hall. The posts were sunk directly in the lake bottom. Even after the lake inlet dam was destroyed, the wet lake bed bottom kept the termites from destroying the wood posts.
The Promenade Bridge allowed patrons to access the Dance Hall. They could also rent a boat and dock at the building's steps, which came down to the water. The building was also used for roller-skating for a year, but public pressure returned it to its more popular use as the Dance Hall.
The Dance Hall, showing the Promenade Bridge (on the right) and the steps leading down to the water (on the left).
Interior view of the Dance Hall.
Click any photo above to view a larger version.