A worn out carbon brush from one of the generators was found just below the surface. By using the worn brush dimensions we determined the commutator was approximately 16½-inches in diameter.
This is a photo of Sam Harris, an electrical engineer, circa 1900. He is standing by a typical generator of the period. We received this photo from Paul Harris, a FOBS member and Sam's grandson.
We found a coffee mug from a long extinct Wilmington lunch counter called 'Essex.'
The first dig at the Power House site resulted in finding three generator machine mounts. Liberty Burton is cleaning the mount. We have no amusement park era photos of the Power House.
This photo shows the depth of the field stone and mortar generator mount at 4-feet, 6-inches.
Click any photo to view a larger version.
We found the Power House was 62-feet long by
36-feet wide with an 18-inch wide fieldstone and mortar foundation wall. Inside the building we found what we believe are three generator/turbine mounts (or foundations) and three boiler mounts. The east side of the building appears to have been used for storage of coal and ash.
Power House Site Plan:
Click the image below to view a larger version of the Power House site plan.
Based on research done at the site, this is what we believe was the site plan of the Power House.
Click on photo above to view a larger version.